Takes , serves 2.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 bag fresh cranberries or two cups washed well. discarding any mushy ones
- 1 cup White sparkling or coarse sugar for rolling after
- Make the Simple syrup: bring the sugar and water to a simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved. Let it cool and come to room temperature
- Wash the cranberries discarding any mushy ones we only need the ones that are firm.
- Add the cooled simple syrup (warm to the touch) To the cranberries
- If the simple syrup is too hot the cranberries will burst open
- keep the cranberries submerged you can use a bowl to push them down
- Once cooled transfer to the fridge to chill
- drain the cranberries from the simple syrup. Let the cranberries completely drain from the liquid. We want them sticky but not soaked wet.
- In a shallow bowl, add about 3 tablespoons of sparkling sugar or coarse sugar. Add a few cranberries at a time swishing them around in the bowl to coat in the sugar.
- If the sugar gets too wet and clumpy replace it.
- Transfer the berries to a wire rack and allow them to dry.
- Use the cranberries as a garnish, or on top of your holiday baked goods. They are completely edible and add a nice festive touch.